thank you, planting time

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: thank you, planting time
  • From: "Michael Cook" <macook@iglou.com>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Feb 1997 09:39:40 -0700 (MST)

     I wish to state "thank you" to Dorothy Fingerhood for telling where to
get the Iris MYSTERIOUS MONIQUE.  When ordering Irises, I have tried spring
and fall shipments.  Although the plants shipped in the fall survive, they
rarely bloom the following year.   The spring shipped plants thrive, and
usually do bloom the following year.
     Kentucky has an "oddball" climate.  We have climatic characteristics
of the north and of the south.  We are not in the snow belt, but we get
plenty cold.  (Our official Zone 6 should really be a Zone 5.)  Heaving of
late-planted rhizomes is a problem here due to repeated freezing and
thawing of the soil.  Spring planting also gives the Iris more time to get
acclimated to Kentucky.
     In January, we had a high remperature of 68 one Saturday.  The next
Saturday, my thermometer bottomed out a -5.  Those changes can cause severe
heaving of any rhizomes planted after Labor Day.  (August is safe, though.)

Mark A. Cook
macook@iglou.com

Lexington, KY where it is still cloudy.