Re: Region 18 Hybridizers and Mohrs

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Region 18 Hybridizers and Mohrs
  • From: Barb Johnson <ljohnson@cland.net>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Feb 1997 11:04:40 -0700 (MST)

On Thu 6 Feb 1997, KEMohr@aol.com wrote:

> Barb Johnson: Would love to hear installments of "Region 18 Hybridizers" on
> Helen Reynolds and John J. Ohl, as I grew up just east of Wichita, KS, made
> frequent trips out to El Dorado, and have very vivid memories of seeing the
> iris in bloom at Helen's.  I also remember a commercial iris garden along old
> Rt. 54 east of Augusta, and John Ohl's address of Rt. 2, Leon (in the 59
> checklist) would be reasonable for that location.  Does anyone who attended
> the Wichita convention in the early 70's have memories they'd like to share?
> Kathryn Mohr, near Albany, NY, formerly of Augusta, KS and St. Louis, MO

Hi, Kathryn!  It is true that I am behind in my Hybridizers postings,
but so far I have only two new ones to post. Hardly anyone responded to
my letters, but I do plan to follow up. Sorry that I am not familiar
with the two you mention, but I will certainly find out from our local
people, who know a LOT more than I do!

I am curious--are you (or your husband) related to any or all of the
Mohrs of iris fame? And I would like to know whether H. C. is the son of
William. I know that David and Kenneth are H.C.'s sons, tho. There is
also a Mary Mohr in Colorado.

Barb Johnson       ljohnson@cland.net
Southwest Missouri Ozarks     USDA Zone 5b     AIS Region 18 (MO & KS)
Where it's snowing AGAIN! Oh, but now it's melting! Hope that WE have
an early Spring too! Have lots of gardening to do this year!!