Re: Iris breeding

Bill Shear wrote:
> The modern 28-chromosome Siberians are based almost entirely on the single
> species I. siberica, with some input from I. sanguinea.  Now it appears
> that I. typhifolia may be entering the mix, adding new genes for early
> blooming.
> The TBs are based on a much wider range of species, comparatively speaking,
> but I wonder if it would be possible to guess what proportion  of genes
> overall came from which species?
> Best wishes, Bill
> ___________________
> William A. Shear
> Department of Biology
> Hampden-Sydney College
> Hampden-Sydney VA 23943 USA
> phone (804) 223-6172
> FAX (804) 223-6374

This is something that I have thought about also.  Which species genes
have made it to our present varieties.  If we are talking Talls then
surely Pallida, Variegata, Trojana and Mesopotamica would be here.  If
one had the time(probably lots of it) you could go back and trace
parentages from the 20/30's checklists.  Sharon are you there?

Rick Tasco
Central California
Zone 8