Heaving of new plants

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Heaving of new plants
  • From: Arnold Koekkoek <KOEKKOEK@dordt.edu>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Feb 1997 12:58:46 -0700 (MST)

To Mark and others:  I was told once to anchor new plantings by
putting a brick or rock on the rhizome after the ground had frozen.
That would prevent heaving if there was a freeze/thaw cycle.  I tried
it, and I've found it to work well.  Not an iron-clad guarantee of
success, but in the great majority of cases I've had the plants
survive.  So you might want to try the same.

Arnold Koekkoek
NW Iowa Zone 4