Puce & our Poet Laureate

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Puce & our Poet Laureate
  • From: Arnold Koekkoek <KOEKKOEK@dordt.edu>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Feb 1997 13:24:56 -0700 (MST)

Worthy Award to the Poet Laureate of Iris-l!!!!!
Reading Clarence's poem (?) and all the others reminded me of the
album Stan Freberg did many years ago satirizing the early history of
the U.S.  As a historian, my fancy was expecially caught.  Among the
items was an argument between Washington and BetsyRoss over the
colors of the flag she'd just created,and GW sang:
    Why couldn't it have been puce?
    Lavender over chartreuse?
    Or possibly some exotic shade
        instead of the choice that has been made.
    Why couldn't it have been possibly cinnamon?
Could it be that there are still some other color combinations
waiting in the seeds to be discovered and propagated.  I don't know
if I'd care about lavender over chartreuse anymore than puce, but I'm
sure there are some we haven't seen or thought of yet.  Don't close
down the AIS registrations yet.  Remember that in 1890 some
congressmen proposed closing the Patent Office, saying that all the
inventions had surely now been made!

Arnold Koekkoek
NW Iowa Zone 4