Re: Iris Breeding

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Iris Breeding
  • From: Patricia Wenham <prw@televar.com>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Feb 1997 14:11:13 -0700 (MST)

Sharon McAllister wrote:
> Rick Tasco wrote:
> :  If we are talking Talls then
> :  surely Pallida, Variegata, Trojana and Mesopotamica would be here.  If
> :  one had the time(probably lots of it) you could go back and trace
> :  parentages from the 20/30's checklists.  Sharon are you there?
> Yes, I'm here.  But the "spare" time to run the necessary stats isn't!
> I have pedigree analysis software, with a database that includes the pedigree of
> every known TB ancestor of my seedlings -- plus a number for which I was
> assessing potential.   And each of those pedigrees goes back to either species
> or unknown parentage.  The catch is that the "unknown parentage" branches are so
> numerous that the largest percentage of ancestry on any TB variety I've assessed
> turns out to be "indeterminate".   Arilbreds, of course, are another matter --
> and that's where I've concentrated my efforts.
> Sharon McAllister
> 73372.1745@compuserve.comHello Sharon,

I meant to get back to you about Arilbreds and the desirability of using
them instead of the Arils.  I did not realize the Arils would be so
difficult to work with.  I do have a few Arilbreds too.  I would like to
leaarn more about using them in a breeding program.  I am green as grass
in this matter.  Are Arilbreds less finicky about dry summers or do the
Aril characteristics prevail?

Could you recommend some good reading material that would help me?

Patti Wenham <prw@televar.com>
Omak, WA  Zone 5