Re: Iris Breeding

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Iris Breeding
  • From: Patricia Wenham <prw@televar.com>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Feb 1997 17:49:40 -0700 (MST)

Sharon McAllister wrote:

> Patti Wenham wrote:
>
> :  I meant to get back to you about Arilbreds and the desirability of using
> :  them instead of the Arils.  I did not realize the Arils would be so
> :  difficult to work with.  I do have a few Arilbreds too.  I would like to
> :  leaarn more about using them in a breeding program.
>
> I was talking about genetics, rather than culture, when I recommended crossing
> TBs with arilbreds instead of with arils.  Modern TBs are tetraploids.  Most
> arils are diploids.  Such a cross rarely produces viable seeds, and even the few
> that are viable rarely prove fertile.  It's the type of cross that has produced
> some important breakthrough breeders -- but it's a line of pursuit best left to
> fanatics (like me).  If you're one of those fortunate few who can grow both
> arils and dwarfs, however, you might want to try for arilmedians.  These are
> valuable garden subjects, not expected to be fertile.
>
> Some arils are tetraploids.  These are more easily crossed with TBs than are
> their diploid relatives, but none of the tetraploid arils are fully compatible
> with TBs.  "More easily" does not mean "easy".  In the 20 years I've been making
> this type of cross, I've produced only one F1 seedling good enough to be
> introduced.
>
> :  Are Arilbreds less finicky about dry summers or do the
> :  Aril characteristics prevail?
>
> Most arilbreds are probably  "less finicky" than most arils -- but there are so
> many different types of arils, and so many different types of arilbreds, that
> you'll find many exceptions to this rule.  Most hybridizers have been trying to
> put flowers with aril characteristics on TB-like plants.
>
> :  Could you recommend some good reading material that would help me?
>
> AIS Bulletin & ASI Yearbook articles.  The World of Iris.  (And my booklets, of
> course!)
>
> Sharon McAllister
> 73372.1745@compuserve.com

Sharon,

Are you sure you are not related to that television series detective,
Colombo?  You give me these little hints that send me screaming up the
network path to find out more.  Ex:  "and my booklets, of course".  Now,
'fess up, what booklets, where do I get them?  What do they cost?  I
already know I am going to have to get them just because you know so
much more than I do and I do not want you to think you are corresponding
with a complete nit-wit!  Seriously, they sound like just what I need,
tell me more.  I do have World of Iris and have gotten much of my
information to date from there.

Patti Wenham <prw@televar.com>