Re: gardenability

Michael Cook wrote:

>      I have noticed with great interest the disucssion about the
> gardenability of Irises and some hybridizers Irises not growing in certain
> areas.  I have encountered the same thing, but I hesitate to totally
> blackball a hybridizer.  When most of the plants tried from a certain
> hybridizer's fail to grow, I will not purchase any more from that
> hybridizer for the time being.  However, if I see a plant introduced by
> that same hybridizer performing well in another Lexington, KY garden, I
> will try to swap for a start of that plant.  While at times I may say that
> certain plants don't do well from me, I will not criticize the hybridizer
> when I know that his/her introductions perform great somewhere else.
>
> Mark A. Cook
> macook@iglou.com
>
> Lexington, KY
> Gray Skies,  Daffodils and Crocuses only starting to emerge, and a wintry
> mix coming.

Mark,

Glad to see that you will give the hybridizer a chance!  Most
hybridizers do not have just one project going.  Usually many, which
utilize iris with a diversity of genes.  so if one iris from a
particular hybridizer does not do well for you, that does not mean
another one will not.

Rick Tasco
Central California -- Early daffodils in bloom and a lot in bud.
Zone 8