  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Heaving/hybridizers
  • From: "Michael Cook" <macook@iglou.com>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Feb 1997 19:34:01 -0700 (MST)

     Arnold Koekkoek's advice of placing a brick over the rhizome to
prevent heaving does work.  I have done that before.  However, my concern
over the planting date was to try to avoid having to that.  Of course,
sometimes it is unavoidable.
     As for my comments on gardenability, one dud from a given hybridizer
does not mean that all of his/her introductions will be bad.  Also, some
Irises grow great in one climate and poorly in another.  Also, just because
an Iris originated locally does not mean that it will do great in your
garden.  Over the past few years, I have eliminated several local
introductions because of:  (1.) Failure to increase and bloom.  and or (2.)
 Weak stems.  However, most local introductions do good for me.  One thing
I do not do is give away or sell an Iris that I know to be a poor
     On the other hand, some Irises from other climates do great for me.
The late Monty Byers, Irises grow well here, as do George Sutton's.  Mr.
Zurbriggs IMMORTALITY and PERFUME COUNTER do very well here.  I think that
the pedigree of a given cultivar is the single most important factor in
determining vigor.

Mark A. Cook

The Bluegrass is wet tonight.