Re: class confusion

Michael Cook wrote:
>      Walter Moores wrote that younger show judges sometimes are in error as
> to which class they think the Iris Mary McClelland should be placed.  To
> ease the confusion, copies of the A.I.S. Checklists should be on hand at
> all Iris shows.  That way, when there is a question as to the identity or
> classification of an Iris, the issue can be settled by looking the Iris up
> in the checklist.  This will protect the integrity of the Judges and the
> exhibitor.
>      At the annual show of the Bluegrass Iris Society, we keep the
> checklists on hand.  I also own a copy each of the ten-year check lists.
> At least one other club member as these too.  If there is a question, the
> Iris is looked up in the checklist.  If its identity cannot be established
> or if it is in the wrong class, the Judges then take appropriate action:
> Disqualification of the specimen.
> Mark A. Cook
> macook@iglou.com
> A rainy night in the Bluegrass State.

Agree with what you say above except in the case of identity.  At most
shows I've judged, if the identity of an iris is challenged then the
checklists are reviewed.  If the iris is still in doubt, then it remains
in the show as the entrant named it.  "Climate, growing conditions and
other factors affect the way an iris appears."  I suppose this is open
for interpretation.  See paragraph 4, page A-12 of the AIS Handbook for
Judges and Show Officials.

Rick Tasco
Central California
Zone 8