Re: LA's

N8KXP@aol.com wrote:

> Am interested in hearing from anyone with experience growing Louisiana's in
> central and southern Florida.  Have just started some work with this and it
> looks interesting.  Spend springs and summers in Ohio growing TB's (600+).
>  Now if I can get my LA project going here (Palm Bay, Fla.) I'll have the
> best of both worlds.
>
> Also interested in hearing of any other iris anyone has had success growing
> here in Fla.
>
> Garden stores here sell a small, delicate iris that they call an African
> iris.  Most are white (some light yellow) and look like an old siberian.
>  I've never found reference to an African iris in any of my reading.  Any
> ideas as to what this iris might be?  They are now in bloom and are used a
> great deal in commerical landscaping.
>
> Harry Wolford

Harry,

Robert Turley of La Belle Florida mentioned that he grows LA's.  He is
southwest of you.  Haven't seen him on the list lately.  Maybe he is
lurking close by and will give you some advice.

As to the African Iris, I don't want to contradict Mark Cook but they
may be Moraea's.  Commonly called the Butterfly iris.  They are
rhizomatous plants from southern Africa, closely related to iris.  Here
in CA they are used in median strips of highways and in outdoor malls as
accent plants.  They can spread to a width ot 3 to 4 feet.  It's scary
to see them whacked down to 3 inchs in the spring as some malls will do.
There are varieties.  M. Bicolor 2 feet, yellow, with purple-brown
blotch; M iridioides, 1-2feet white, with yellow or brown sposts and
lavender shading and many more.

Rick Tasco
Central California
Zone 8