Re: Graham's Famous Garden of Stones

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Graham's Famous Garden of Stones
  • From: CEMahan@aol.com
  • Date: Sat, 8 Feb 1997 13:27:59 -0700 (MST)

<< < to Mark and others:  I was told once to anchor new plantings by
  putting a brick or rock on the rhizome after the ground had frozen.
  That would prevent heaving if there was a freeze/thaw cycle.  I tried
  it, and I've found it to work well.  Not an iron-clad guarantee of
  success, but in the great majority of cases I've had the plants
  survive.  So you might want to try the same.

 Bit of a problem with 27,000 plants!

Come on Graham! If you would do the stone bit on your irises, you would
become famous in England....indeed, in the world.  You would be known as the
man who has the famed "Garden of Stones".  Or, if you used bricks, the
extraordinary "Garden of Bricks.'    You could be on all the tours when
foreigners visit England.  Someone like a modern day Edith Sitwell could
include you in a new book on English eccentrics.  What possibilities.  You
could stand in front of the garden and enroll new members into the British
Iris Society (and American Iris Society).  You could charge a large entrance
fee.  And I would tell people, I knew Graham back in the old days before he
built the great Garden of Stones (or Bricks).  All this makes me want to
write some rhyme---but I shall resist the temptation.  Cheers, Clarence
P.S. You could even sell stones as souvenirs!  (At least 5 pounds each---the
English might not buy them but we Americans would fall over each other to get
first choice.)