RE: Show Time

Jef Walters writes;

>We have an early and late show,too. That is we have one show that is either
>too early or too late for somebody's (sometimes everybody's) peak bloom.

Aint it the TRUTH!!

>What we have done in our local iris society is have the meeting nearest to
>the show date focus on arranging with iris for about six years running. . We
>have also done "how to"
>related to Horticulture, but not as systematically. This year we are
>planning to put our major emphasis on Horticultural exhibiting, probably by
>having a mock judging at our last meeting prior to the show so novice
>exhibitors can get a better idea of exactly what considerations go into
>determining the merit of an entry.

This sounds like you are fairly well set to set up all aspects of your shows!
I think the arranging portions of the shows are great! We don't have that many
arrangers at our show. In fact if I remember correctly when I asked about it I
was told that they had sort of gotten away from that aspect of the show, but
that there were some people from a florist school or something like that who
made arrangements for the show from Iris provided by the society members.
Well, speaking of shows, The King County Iris Society is exhibiting at the
Seattle Garden Show and I have to be there shortly for my turn in the booth.

Thanks for your input on the show preparation etc. I am going to bring this
information back to our meeting with me. Of course everyone else may already
know or have thought of all of this stuff. I myself am still fairly new at all
of these show things, only going on my second year.

Jefrie Jenkins
Kent, WA zone 5  -  AIS region 13