RE: Dark Horse

Lloyd writes:

>Dear Gerry:  I keep making mistakes here, and must try again.  I have been
>crossing SA iris for 25 years. Do not vote for them if you do not like them.
>However, I regret that one would refuse to vote for a good iris because it
>was too novel.  ...............................................  I reapeat,
no one MUST like
>Space-Agers, but neither should they be rejected, just because the are SA .
>Hope I have been fair in my judgment.  Lloyd Zurbrigg,  Durham NC

I think this is a wonderful comment and can be used as a guide for judging all
iris. I myself do not like the solid dark colored Iris. There are many of them
that are of beautiful form, well stalked and good increasers, but I don't like
the plain colors. But I realize that just because I don't like them doesn't
mean that they are not medal quality Iris. The same should hold true for
others who don't like the SpaceAge/Novelty Iris. Just because they are a
little different doesn't mean they are not a great Iris.

Where would we be today if everyone said boo to the new Iris forms. The old
historical Iris are beautiful but the new hybridized flowers of greater size,
wider falls, lace, ruffling, & new colors are wonderful!  What if when these
were first coming out people had said Oh no those are too different, we can't
have that!
Anyway I say three cheers for the SA/NOV Iris!!

Jefrie Jenkins
Kent, WA zone 5 - AIS region 13