USDA vs. Sunset zones

At 03:02 PM 2/8/97 -0700, you wrote:

>I myself had determined that zone 6 must be Iris heaven, and to that end have
>been looking for retirement property based on it being in a zone 6 area. I
>thought this to be a true hypothesis because zone 6 is described in sunset's
>Western Garden Book as: Warmer summers than zone 5 and a much longer growing
>season ( Mid-March - Mid-November) along with a pronounced winter chill.
>This all seems perfect for growing Iris, and as 2 of the big commercial guys,
>Cooleys and Shreiners are in zone 6, and Terry isn't Salmon Creek in zone 6?,
>this seemed a true hypothesis. But then we had the rains and the floods, of
>the past two years which has ruined some of their gardens. So maybe their
>really isn't an Iris heaven after all.
>But I am still looking for zone 6.
>
>Jefrie Jenkins

Jefrie,
I was wondering about this.  Zone 6, USDA zones, has winter temps of 0 F to
-10 F, and I don't think Shcreiner's gets this cold, or does it?  Here in
zone 6, USDA zone, in middle Tennessee, our expected frost-free period is
about April 15 to Oct 15.  The Sunset Western Garden Book has its own set of
zones.  I noticed that the Zone finder on the Internet lists both sets of
zones.  Gigi, are you lurking out there?  Or Rick, are we talking about two
different sets of zones?
Julie Allen  jwallen@blomand.net   Sparta, TN