species genes

Clarence was saying,

happen very frequently, as that is the nature of evolution. Most mutations
are not visible to the eye and thus we fail to notice them. "

Actually, most mutations are lethal and do not produce viable organisms, and
that is why we fail to notice them.  Still, almost any single species is made
up of a whopping number of genes with an incredible number of subtle
variations, which is why the Japanese iris are probably still safe for a
while.  It's only when we begin paring down a particular line without allowing
outcrossing (whether you consider outcrossing to be inter- or intra-species)
that we begin to get into trouble.

Hey--we seem to be back to ****HETEROSIS****!  By golly.

Barb in Santa Fe with snow on the emerging daffodils and black ice on the