Hardiness Zones

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Hardiness Zones
  • From: "Michael Cook" <macook@iglou.com>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Feb 1997 17:17:12 -0700 (MST)

     I wish that Sunset would classify the east as well.  Here in Kentucky,
we are officially in USDA Zone 6.  However, we can get much colder than the
minimum expected temperature of -10 Degrees Fahrenheit.  We frequently have
frost (usually light) as late as the first few days of May.  Our first
frost is usually in the second week in October.  September frosts are not
unheard of.  One note about Kentucky:  Precipitation and temperature can
change significantly over short distances.  Kentucky is not Iris Heaven.

Mark A. Cook
macook@iglou.com

Lexington, Kentucky
Where it is now 29 degrees with an inch of frozen slush on the ground.