Re: Nemacur

Rick Tasco/Roger Duncan wrote:
> Lbaumunk@aol.com wrote:
> > I was very interested in Terry Aitken's article on nematodes in the Bulletin..... a condition I am not sure exists in my garden. -Lowell Baumunk
>I would be suspect of nematodes in your climatic area.  Has anyone in your area had nematodes that you know of?
> In fact most of the Commercial gardens here have to fumigate, solarize or rotate to avoid this happening.  I will first ask if they can rotate.  If not then solarize.
> Rick Tasco

Hi. I'm new to the net AND to this list, and posting by intuition since
my HELP instuctions have not yet arrived, so who knows if this will get
posted or not!! Anyhow...
Lowell,   Dad used to treat for nematodes back on the farm in New
Jersey, but I have always heard that we do not have nematodes here in
Colorado, so I think it's likely you've just got good old "iris wear
out". Have you ever noticed how often iris growers move,? Including me!
Rick, Solarize?  Now that's a term I never heard of. What does one do to
do that?

And for the lady who wants to know "Who are you?": I'm an amateur iris
grower in the Denver area, and a School Psychologist nine months a year.
I've loved iris since I used to gaze up at them at home as a three year
old.  One of the greater losses in my life was when Georgia O'Keefe, in
her very old age, took back a glorious
painting of an iris that she had loaned to my in-laws. (She had decided
it was imperfect, and is supposed to have burned it.)
	Anyhow, only that painting, of any representation I have ever seen,
portrayed the heaven-like glow of the light coming through the towering
iris blooms to the eyes of the little girl gazing up from below! Maybe
what I should really do to appreciate my garden next year is pick my way
to the middle of the thickest patch and lie down?  Hadn't thought of
that, til now.
	In the iris world, I've been a member of Region 20 and HIPS about 10
and 8 years, respectively. About two years ago I began trying to collect
as many of the ancestors of Beverly Sills as possible, so had a chance
to contact many wonderful people around that project.  It has had to
take a back seat for awhile, but I do have about 57 of those cultivars
on hand now, planted in order of their geneological heirarchy.
	I've been honored to be entrusted by our local irisarians to host a
Convention Garden for our 1998 convention in Denver, and am hoping to
welcome busloads and busloads of you to my yard that summer.  Let me
tempt you right now to our beautiful state with mention of the diverse
and lovely setting of many of our gardens, the large number of historics
many of us, including Lowell, grow here, the fanciful rocks I have
collected here at my site, and the chance to see the results of new
cultivar growth in our semi-arid, high plains conditions.
	Hope that's enough of an introduction, and not too much.
Carol Townsend, (ctownsen@jeffco.k12.co.us) (I'll put that in since I
don't yet know enough to know if I've a functioning automatic signature
of not!)