Re: Iris Breeding

<< Surprised to hear that there is aril in EARL OF ESSEX.
 I.,reichenbachii or sualeolens; are you quite sure?? >>

Lloyd, the aril in EARL OF ESSEX comes from SKY QUEEN whose pedigree was
STEEPLECHASE x MARY MCCLELLAN) X REGINA MARIA.  STEEPLECHASE was itself
SLEIGHRIDE sib X (HEADLANDS x MARY MCCLELLAN.)

MARY MCCLELLAN was the product of BLUE OX X CHIVALRY.  And BLUE OX's
parentage was ACROPOLIS X a White Oncobred.

Perhaps my message was not clear with respect to I. reichenbachii and
suaveolens. I did not mean to indicate that these are in the background of
EARL OF ESSEX, because from my reading of EofE's complete pedigree they are
not.  BUT they are in the pedigrees of other irises.  And every dominant
amoena out of PROGENITOR has one or the other of these two species in its
background.  Cook was not certain that the species he used was I.
reichenbachii.  Various experts opined it was really I. suaveolens.  I became
convinced it was probably suaveolens based on the writings of Walter Welch.
 Cheers, Clarence