Re: Dark Horse

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Dark Horse
  • From: Gerry Snyder <gcsnyd@loop.com>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Feb 1997 22:29:35 -0700 (MST)

Dear iris-l,

The enclosed email gives me the frightening thought
that many of you might consider me to be an even
bigger dope than I am.

A while ago I predicted that Supreme Sultan would
win the Dykes in a landslide. I did not mean to
imply that I wanted it to, or that I would vote
for it.

I don't and I won't.

Z88KEYS@aol.com wrote:
> Dear Gerry:  I keep making mistakes here, and must try again.  I have been
> crossing SA iris for 25 years. Do not vote for them if you do not like them.
> However, I regret that one would refuse to vote for a good iris because it
> was too novel.  I think THORNBIRD is a very distinctive iris, but I do not
> think it is beautiful; - threatening if more like the right word.

I usually settle for "interesting." But I like it a lot,
and it has a special place in my heart because it won me
my first blue ribbon.

> But I do
> find CONJURATION  to be a very beautiful iris, ; as mentioned the flowers are
> a bit small, but it is truly a very fine iris.

I agree completely.

> I am "grandpa" to THORNBIRD

You should be proud.

> but have no connection with CONJURATION.  I reapeat, no one MUST like
> Space-Agers, but neither should they be rejected, just because the are SA .
> Hope I have been fair in my judgment.  Lloyd Zurbrigg,  Durham NC

Once again, I regret the incorrect impression my email made.

If anything I am biased _towards_ SAs, not against them. I am
very active on the Region 15 committee for the next spring trek,
which is featuring SAs. The _only_ thing that would bother me
about Thornbird or Conjuration winning the Dykes is that that
might reduce the probability of Mesmerizer winning, and I
consider Mesmerizer to be the best of the bunch (at least as
they grow around here).

gcsnyd@loop.com    AIS Region 15
Warm, winterless Los Angeles