Re: Iris Breeding

Lloyd Z said
><< Surprised to hear that there is aril in EARL OF ESSEX.
> I.,reichenbachii or sualeolens; are you quite sure?? >>

and Clarence replied
>Lloyd, the aril in EARL OF ESSEX comes from ..... a White Oncobred.
>Perhaps my message was not clear with respect to I. reichenbachii and
>suaveolens........ And every dominant
>amoena out of PROGENITOR has one or the other of these two species in its

Speaking of sorting of hereditary traits, selecting varieties that might do
well in problem areas, etc - I apologize in advance if I scramble this, but E
of E is a plicata/amoena?  and from earlier discussions and my own experience
killing (or at least tormenting) iris in my garden/climate, most popular
plicatas don't do well (=usually die).  I haven't tried E of E, but ENGLISH
COTTAGE (which according to the checklist has much the same genetic makeup,
but not the SKY QUEEN/arilbred connection) is a rampant weed here.   E of E
does well in other gardens here, I think, and for Julie Allen not too far
away (I think).  But I would have expected those arilbred genes to increase
problems associated with a lot of rain.  So is this possibly an instance
where drought/heat tolerance (=less prone to drought injury and subsequent
rot) from aril background might contribute to more widespread adaptability?
 I realize this is a huge leap of logic based on no data, but thought I would
share this passing thought.

Anybody already rooted through ancestry of JESSE'S SONG versus STEPPING OUT
who'd like to venture a guess as to why (which parents) J S has so much more
vigor (resistance to all the drought, cold, big and little bug damage that
lead to rot) than S O?

Linda Mann east Tenneseee USA
(still full of questions)