Re: Iris Breeding

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Iris Breeding
  • From: "Jeff and Carolyn Walters" <cwalters@cache.net>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Feb 1997 09:06:37 -0700 (MST)

Dear Linda,

      You wrote (9 Feb 97):

> and Clarence replied
> >Lloyd, the aril in EARL OF ESSEX comes from ..... a White Oncobred.
> >
> >Perhaps my message was not clear with respect to I. reichenbachii and
> >suaveolens........ And every dominant
> >amoena out of PROGENITOR has one or the other of these two species in
its
> >background.

As Clarence is trying to explain here, there were two separate threads in
his original posting, which have gotten tangled together:
      1) The Aril ancestry of EARL OF ESSEX; and
      2) The source of the dominant amoena trait in modern TBs in one or
the other of two non-aril dwarf bearded species used by Paul Cook to
produce PROGENITOR.

> Speaking of sorting of hereditary traits, selecting varieties that might
do
> well in problem areas, etc - I apologize in advance if I scramble this,
but E
> of E is a plicata/amoena?

No, EARL OF ESSEX is a typical plic with colored edging on the white ground
of both the standards and falls (only the Arilbred ancestry comments by
Clarence apply to E of E, not the dominant amoena ones).

 and from earlier discussions and my own experience
> killing (or at least tormenting) iris in my garden/climate, most popular
> plicatas don't do well (=usually die).  I haven't tried E of E, but
ENGLISH
> COTTAGE (which according to the checklist has much the same genetic
makeup,
> but not the SKY QUEEN/arilbred connection) is a rampant weed here.   E of
> does well in other gardens here, I think, and for Julie Allen not too far
> away (I think).  But I would have expected those arilbred genes to
increase
> problems associated with a lot of rain.  So is this possibly an instance
> where drought/heat tolerance (=less prone to drought injury and
subsequent
> rot) from aril background might contribute to more widespread
adaptability?
>  I realize this is a huge leap of logic based on no data, but thought I
would
> share this passing thought.

Do not attempt to place too much emphasis on the Aril inheritance of E of
E; the Aril ancestor is remote, and E of E has less than 1% Aril genes in
its total genetic composition.

> Anybody already rooted through ancestry of JESSE'S SONG versus STEPPING
OUT
> who'd like to venture a guess as to why (which parents) J S has so much
more
> vigor (resistance to all the drought, cold, big and little bug damage
that
> lead to rot) than S O?

Schreiners registered STEPPING OUT as "parentage unknown", so there is very
little ancestry to root through. JESSE' SONG resulted from the cross of two
seedlings. The four grandparents were all registered cultivars: CHARMED
CIRCLE (Keppel), KISS (Knocke), SMOKE RINGS (Gibson), and DECOLLETAGE
(Hager). I think it is this diverse genetic background from four separate
breeding lines that goes a long way to explain J S's robust performance
under most conditions.

Jeff Walters in northern Utah (Zone 4)
cwalters@cache.net
"This is the Place" - Utah Pioneer Sesquicentennial:  1847-1997