Re: Dark Horse

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Dark Horse
  • From: "Jeff and Carolyn Walters" <cwalters@cache.net>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Feb 1997 09:28:15 -0700 (MST)

Dear Gerry,
     You write (8 Feb 97):

> If anything I am biased _towards_ SAs, not against them. I am
> very active on the Region 15 committee for the next spring trek,
> which is featuring SAs. The _only_ thing that would bother me
> about Thornbird or Conjuration winning the Dykes is that that
> might reduce the probability of Mesmerizer winning, and I
> consider Mesmerizer to be the best of the bunch (at least as
> they grow around here).

Monty Byers, who typically bubbled over with enthusiasm like an uncorked
bottle of Champagne about anything to do with iris, was originally quite
uncharacteristically restrained about THORNBIRD. In his final catalog he
said, "One never knows - I'd considered this one of my lesser intros,
almost didn't even introduce it", but then goes on to add, "Boy have I ever
perceived this in a different light since our Spring Regional in Sacramento
in '89! "

He was his typical enthusiastic self about CONJURATION, and even made the
following prediction about it, "This mesmerizer is headed straight for the
stars!"

Perhaps you can read a hidden meaning into that prophecy?

Jeff Walters in northern Utah (Zone 4)
cwalters@cache.net
"This is the Place" - Utah Pioneer Sesquicentennial:  1847-1997