EARL OF ESSEX

Clarence Mahan wrote:

:  Perhaps my message was not clear with respect to I. reichenbachii and
:  suaveolens. I did not mean to indicate that these are in the background of
:  EARL OF ESSEX, because from my reading of EofE's complete pedigree they are
:  not.  BUT they are in the pedigrees of other irises.  And every dominant
:  amoena out of PROGENITOR has one or the other of these two species in its
:  background.

How "complete" is complete?  I printed out only 16 generations -- enough to
account for the aril heritage and find PROGENITOR as a distant ancestor.

EARL OF ESSEX < VIOLET CLASSIC < JOLLY GOLIATH < SUNSET BLUES < MELODRAMA <
SEEDLING < SEEDLING < PROGENITOR

Clarence, I'm not trying to start an argument, but I need to know whether I've
put something into my database in error or just traced the chart back further
than you did.

Sharon McAllister (73372.1745@compuserve.com)
No.  I don't do this for every variety, but I was intrigued by E of E's complex
background:  rebloomers, plicatas, and recessive amoenas.