Iris Breeding

Concerning EARL OF ESSEX, LInda Mann wrote:

:  But I would have expected those arilbred genes to increase
:  problems associated with a lot of rain.  So is this possibly an instance
:  where drought/heat tolerance (=less prone to drought injury and subsequent
:  rot) from aril background might contribute to more widespread adaptability?
:   I realize this is a huge leap of logic based on no data, but thought I would
:  share this passing thought.

EARL OF ESSEX is 5/1024, or less than one half of one percent aril.  Even if
these species ancestors were completely compatible with its other ancestors, it
would be expected to have very few aril genes.  But with successive crosses back
to TBs, the tendence is for the aril chromosomes to be completely dropped.  Do
you really want to get into the genetics of heterozygous chromosomes?

In the case of  E of E, I think we must look elsewhere to understand its growth

Sharon McAllister