Genealogical Collections

Celia Storey wrote:

:  I'd like to know if anyone else has made such a display for any other
:  single cultivar. And I'd also like Carol to tell how she came up with the
:  idea. Did she have a lot of land to fill? I imagine this bed as an
:  excellent educational display, a highlight of the local garden tour for
:  novices such as myself who know diddly-squat about breeding.

I did this for ESTHER, THE QUEEN many years ago -- in conjunction with a bed of
her registered offspring -- and often try to collect ancestors of something I
consider a significant breeder.  The difficulty is that some were undistributed
seedlings.  When I first started hybridizing, I also set up separate display
beds for the introductions each hybridizer.    It helped me to understand more
about their lines, what they were breeding for, and how their iris could fit
into my own program.

Sharon McAllister
73372.1745@compuserve.com