Re: EARL OF ESSEX

<How "complete" is complete?  I printed out only 16 generations -- enough to
account for the aril heritage and find PROGENITOR as a distant ancestor.[of
Earl of Essex}.>>

<< Clarence, I'm not trying to start an argument, but I need to know whether
I've
 put something into my database in error or just traced the chart back
further
 than you did.

No argument here! You are absolutely correct!  I just did not pull out my
chart on the VIOLET CLASSIC side of the pedigree when yakking on. Now, if I
had not been so tunnel-vison focused on the 'aril' issue, I would have
recalled the VIOLET CLASSIC side of the family.  The reason I SHOULD have
remembered it is that VIOLET CLASSIC is a "grandfather" of my own SUKY (and
you just know I have that pedigree all laid out!)

I do certainly agree with you that EARL OF ESSEX is an iris with a
fascinating pedigree.  I would add that among cold climate rebloomers it is
an anomaly in a number of respects.  It combines "warm climate rebloomer"
lines with "cold climate rebloomer" lines---and Lloyd will probably be the
first to tell you, as he has written it before, such breeding does not
normally produce good cold climate rebloomers.  The great diversity of its
species background, however, may well be the key to its success as a cold
climate rebloomer.

When giving programs on iris breeding, the EARL OF ESSEX pedigree would be a
wonderful example to use!  Clarence Mahan in VA