Re: Tet. Louisianas x others

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Tet. Louisianas x others
  • From: "Walter A. Moores" <wam2@Ra.MsState.Edu>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Feb 1997 15:47:43 -0700 (MST)

On Sun, 9 Feb 1997, Efford wrote:

> Bill Shear wrote:
>
> Does the word Calliet mean anything?
>
> Assuming the word come from French (Cajun) then the larger Robert
> dictionary does not have a French word "calliet".  It does have the word
> "calli" meaning element from the greek word "kallos" for beauty.
> Without being a linguist, I might suggest that it could be an old
> expression that meant "little beauty".
>
> Ian
>
> avocet.intl@sympatico.ca
>
> PS  I am sorry that I have not been putting a signature line on my
> correspondence.  I switched software and did not appreciate that my
> signature had not switch at the same time!

	To clear all of this up the Durios named their interspecies cross
of tet. La X I. virginica LITTLE CAILLET for Marie Caillet.  I got this
information today in a telephone call to Marie Caillet of Little Elm, TX.
So, the French dictionaries can go back on the shelf!  FLOWER AND GARDEN
or the Durios misspelled Marie's last name.  Marie did not know who the
guilty party was.

	Walter Moores
	Enid Lake, MS