Re: dormitary suburb

J. Michael, Celia or Ben Storey wrote:
> I noticed your description of Upper Hutt as a "dormitary suburb" of
> Wellington. What does that mean? Is it the equivalent of what we call a
> "bedroom community" here in Arkansas? That is, a suburb without substantial industry of its own so that the residents must travel to the
city for their work?
> Just curious.
> Celia
> storey@aristotle.net  USDA Zone 7b
> Little Rock, Arkansas, USA

Yes, I guess so. Wellington is the centre of government and is restricted
from direct expansion by hills and sea so housing for the masses tends to
be pushed up river (Hutt) and up coast. At he mouth of the Hutt River is
Lower Hutt, a major industrial complex and the initial housing expansion
area, some 9 miles from Wellington and further upstream, Upper Hutt, a
small city of roughly 40,000, 18 miles from Wellington. During the first
major expansion in the 1950s a quarter acre section was the standard and
allowed for reasonable gardening activities. The area is sheltered from
the worst of the Southerly winds, has wet Springs, variable but warm
summers and frosty winters but no snow. Rainfall usually about 30 inches
plus. Grows median bearded irises better than TBs (wind and too much
rain) and excellent conditions for Louisianas, Japanese, sibiricas and a
wide range of species and South African irids. Arils need special care
and shelter over summer and fall or they will rot. More recently an urban
blight has set in with new housing sections reduced to one eighth acre or
worse and established lots tending more and more to become subdivided.

Paul Richardson, (pippi@xtra.co.nz)