Re: Iris Breeding

In a message dated 97-02-09 21:15:34 EST, Mike Lowe wrote:

<< But then... if we credit mesopotamica in the 18th to 22nd remove, with
 passing a trait to tenderness, how can we deny a ninth generation ancestor
 discernable effect? >>

Well, I will venture an opinion on that one, Mike.  The impact of
mesopotamica, even 18 to 22 generations removed was not of a regular order of
things. Au contraire, it was revolutionary: 48 chromosomes of large size
flowers, great beauty, and requirements for porous soil and excellent
drainage to survive.

And in terms of impact, the slightest modification of one gene in one very
distant human ancestor, brings male pattern baldness to millions of men in
each subsequent generation.  Imagine the impact on iris offspring of doubling
chromosomes 100 years ago!

Don't you find it fascinating that botanists, even today, apparently have no
idea as to what I. mesopotamica? It most certainly is not a version of I.
germanica as all modern taxonomists have classed it.  Ben Hager has written
that considering I. mesopotamica  a form of I. germanica is basically
nonsense---and I think Ben is right.   Clarence Mahan in VA