Re: Graham's Famous Garden of Stones

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Graham's Famous Garden of Stones
  • From: Croftway@aol.com
  • Date: Mon, 10 Feb 1997 02:16:28 -0700 (MST)

I was off-list yesterday, so I only got Clarence's message this morning -
certainly improved my Monday! (-:
But if I were to sell the stones to you American folks, I'd have to develop
new and showier varieties each year, and what about the ones that fall over?
(-;
Perhaps I'd have to look to Stonehenge for breeding material - the stones
there have stood up for an awful long time!
Any ideas for stony iris names?

As far as freeze-thaw in Sussex is concerned, we do have a problem, but
nothing like so bad as some areas. Our soil is fairly wet clay with stones
which makes things worse. Three weeks ago we had a two week period of days at
-2C/28F and nights at -8C/18F. Now we have 12C/54F and rain. This can happen
two or three times in what we would call "severe" winters (nothing like some
of you folks have).
So - not a major problem, but it does happen here sometimes.
The purpose of my original comment was to poke a little mild fun at the
suggestion of covering every plant with a brick - fine in a garden, but a bit
impractical for us.

Graham
.still laughing.