Re: Graham's Famous Garden of Stones

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Graham's Famous Garden of Stones
  • From: CEMahan@aol.com
  • Date: Mon, 10 Feb 1997 06:53:08 -0700 (MST)

In a message dated 97-02-10 04:36:11 EST, Graham wrote:

<< But if I were to sell the stones to you American folks, I'd have to
develop
 new and showier varieties each year, and what about the ones that fall over?
 (-;
 Perhaps I'd have to look to Stonehenge for breeding material - the stones
 there have stood up for an awful long time!
 Any ideas for stony iris names?

 As far as freeze-thaw in Sussex is concerned, we do have a problem, but
 nothing like so bad as some areas. Our soil is fairly wet clay with stones
 which makes things worse. >>

Come, come, Graham! You are resisting, and, I might add, in a totally
illogical manner.  You tell us that your soil has lots of stones---so your
threat to dismantle Stonehenge is frivolous at best, and at worst arbitrary,
capricious and possibly insincere.  You obviously have the needed stones in
hand. You need not concern yourself that some stones fall over, as these will
often be in great demand and receive the highest awards.

And as for the "naming of the stones," the position of  Official Stone-Namer
to the Queen is yours for the taking. Thus, unlike irises, which require you
to gain permission from the AIS Registrar for a name, you can name the stones
anything you please.  I might suggest, however, that you name the stones (or
bricks) that fall over after famous waterfalls, e.g. Angel Falls, Niagara
Falls, Great Falls, etc., as there is a tradition in our Society for this
sort of thing.

Since my apology for sending the first message on this subject resulted in a
virtual flood of personal messages from people telling me they were happy I
sent it on the list, I am sending this message brazenly, and with no apology.
 While the messages I have received have caused me to question the judgment
and mental health of list members, they have brought me considerable pleasure
and I thank everyone who sent an email.  I might add that those same messages
indicate overwhelming support for your building the famous Garden of Stones
(or Bricks).

So please quit fighting the problem, Graham,  get out to the fields and start
placing stones (or bricks). Remember, nothing ventured nothing gained.  A
rolling stone gathers no moss. And a stone on an iris is worth two sitting
idly by serving no useful purpose.  Clarence Mahan in Virginia