Iris Breeding -- More Genetics

Of  "crossing over", Linda Mann asked:

:  How often does that happen in irises?

I don't think anyone knows.  Such experiments require subjects whose chromosomes
have been mapped, with marker genes that have been located and identified with
observable characteristics.

Linkage and crossing over have been extensively studied with respect to
homologous chromosomes.  Nonallelic genes are LINKED because they reside in the
same chromosome.  But they are said to CROSS OVER when chromosome parts of
homologous chromosomes change places during meiosis.  Different species, plant
and animal, have been found to have different rates -- but I haven't run across
any study involving iris.   As this is far beyond the scope of this list, I
refer anyone interested in the subject to an introductory text on genetics.

In my earlier post, however, I was referring to the possibility of crossing over
between nonhomologous chromosomes.  This has been observed in other species
(sorry, I don't recall the reference) and a subject of speculation in the iris
world.

Sharon McAllister
73372.1745@compuserve.com