Re: Graham's Famous Garden of Stones

Clarence writes...

>So please quit fighting the problem, Graham,  get out to the fields and start
>placing stones (or bricks). Remember, nothing ventured nothing gained.  A
>rolling stone gathers no moss. And a stone on an iris is worth two sitting
>idly by serving no useful purpose.

I feel an exceedingly faint twinge of remorse...while the stone/brick trick
has long been in the iris apocrypha, I believe I was the first iris society
editor to publish a picture of a 'Field-of-Bricks.'

In the 'Reblooming Iris Recorder' Spring 1989, Vol. 34, pg. 25, is a
photograph taken in the late Louise Smith's, Williamsburg, Virginia garden,
in the heart of winter. In a newly reset iris border a veritable wagonload
of bricks are visible, anchoring each newly reset rhizome.

But then, Louise's husband, Walter, excavated an eight foot by eighty foot
seedling bed to a depth of two feet, lined it with a closely spaced mesh
screen, and replaced the amended soil. (Vole protection) Prodigious labors
were routinely accomplished by Walter for the care and protection of
Louise's treasured seedlings.

And some of us merely give the light of our life a Valentine card or
bouquet of roses!

Mike in Virginia who has not yet purchased Valentine cards...