Re: Leaf spot

Likewise fascinated by the June bug story.  To begin with I had no idea
that June bugs ate iris rhizomes, either before they rotted or after.  In
fact, I've never seen June bugs eat anything.  According to my beetle
manual, June bugs (Phyllophaga spp.) feed after dark on leaves of trees and
shrubs.  Or are you referring to the June bug larvae, which live in the

It is possible that the association between the beetle and the rot organism
is accidental.
How many beetles were examined?  How were they identified?   How was the
identity of Erwinian carotovora confirmed?

Erwinia is indeed common in soils and can easily be isolated from almost

I still have difficulty seeing how fungal leaf spot can be spread by
aphids.  Without confirmation I think I'll stick to the traditional view
that the spores are airborne and splashed from plant to plant by rain.

Best wishes, Bill
William A. Shear
Department of Biology
Hampden-Sydney College