Re: Nemacur

> However, go easy on the mulch with TBs and other bearded types.  Here at
> least, they don't appreciate it, which is one reason why I don't use them
> much in mixed borders.  On the other hand, beardless types thrive with
> mulches and it seems to me that JIs require less frequent transplanting
> when they are heavily mulched with leafmould each year.  Another caution:
> with the exception of English irises, most bulbous irises do not much like
> a soil full of organic matter.

I'm confused.  I'm with you on not mulching the TBs but I also thought
that the TBs did NOT like *soil* amended with organic matter, either.
You claim that this is the case for the bulbous iris.  What about the
TBs?  Soil rich in organic matter also is not going to drain as quickly
as soil without unless the plain soil is very clay-ey.

What then would be the perfect "potting" mix for a TB, assuming it is
planted with rhizome peeking above top of soil and no mulch?
--
Amy Moseley Rupp
amyr@austx.tandem.com, Austin, TX, zone 8b