Re: Iris Breeding -- terminology

Graham Spencer wrote:

:  I do believe that Sharon made up some of the words in her postings on this
:  subject.
:  ((-;

Probably.  But not the ones you might think!  I'm often guilty of coining a
simple term instead of using the tongue-twisting and finger-fatiguing, but
precise, tecnical one.

:  Where do you learn all this?! Where do you find the time??

Some 40 years of reading everything I can get my hands on about iris.  Long
hours spent in the library when I was in college -- too far to walk home between
classes.   Same story during graduate school -- but this time at a university
with a much more extensive library section devoted to agricultural subjects.
And the NMSU library has continued to provide entertainment....

For anyone interested in such browsing, I suggest agricultural journals as well
as horticultural ones.  And looking for topics like genetic statistics and
population genetics -- not just iris.

Many years ago,  I remember running across a fascinating book entitled
"Introgressive Hybridization" that analyzed the occurence of natural hybrids
between iris species, but I don't recall the name of the author.  Perhaps
someone else on the list will.

FInding the time?  Just bits & pieces.  But it eventually adds up.

Sharon McAllister
73372.1745@compuserve.com