Re: Graham's Famous Garden of Stones

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Graham's Famous Garden of Stones
  • From: Amy Rupp <amyr@austx.tandem.com>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Feb 1997 12:50:20 -0700 (MST)

> Any ideas for stony iris names?

I go for the classy stones... diamonds, rubies, emeralds, sapphires,
aquamarines, amethyst, well, you get the picture.  COAL MINER'S DAUGHTER
might make a good introduction from Tennessee ;-)

> As far as freeze-thaw in Sussex is concerned, we do have a problem, but
> nothing like so bad as some areas. Our soil is fairly wet clay with stones
> which makes things worse. Three weeks ago we had a two week period of days at
> -2C/28F and nights at -8C/18F. Now we have 12C/54F and rain. This can happen
> two or three times in what we would call "severe" winters (nothing like some
> of you folks have).

Listen Bub.  Texas is thought of as a rather warm place even in winter
but we've done the 30F to 80F to 15F thing this winter and the one
previous.  I'm SICK of it.  However, the ground doesn't freeze so the
iris don't heave but BOY the tropicals, semi-tropicals and winter
annuals REALLY hate it so I have NOTHING blooming in my yard.  The
tropicals start to grow in the 80F only to get rewhacked back despite
mulch, and the winter annuals SULK and melt in 80F.
--
Amy Moseley Rupp
amyr@austx.tandem.com, Austin, TX, zone 8b