Re: Youth activities

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Youth activities
  • From: Patricia Wenham <prw@televar.com>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Feb 1997 15:00:05 -0700 (MST)

bajai@mtco.com wrote:
> Hi everyone!
> Does anyone here have some ideas that might be useful in getting new and
> existing youth members involved in A.I.S.?  Here in Region 9 It seems as
> though there are basically few youth members.  My daughter and 2 of my
> nephews joined A.I.S. as youth members last year of the local society
> that I belong to.  There are a few other kids who sometimes attend the
> meeting with their grandparents, parents, etc.  I was trying to think of
> what we as a society could do to encourage membership of these youth and
> what activities we could promote that would encourage and enrich these
> youth memebers.  I know that my daughter and my nephews plan on entering
> the spring show with their iris.  Any suggestions would be most
> appreciated!!!
> Julie Irwin
> Region 9
> USDA Zone 5  Illinois
> bajai@mtco.com

Food and movement, whether to other gardens or to other meetings, are
always popular with youth.  Most really are interested in helping others
less fortunate, such as people physically handicapped by age or disease,
with their gardens.  Perhaps even a civic project.  Contact your local
extension office and see what works for their youth programs.

Patti Wenham prw@televar.com
zone 5
Omak, WA