stony names

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: stony names
  • From: "Michael Cook" <macook@iglou.com>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Feb 1997 15:25:37 -0700 (MST)

     Loretta Lynn, who sang the famous song "Coal Miner's Daughter" is from
Van Lear Ky.  This is not to detract from Tennessee, which has produced
many talented singers.  There is an Iris named KENTUCKY COAL.  It was
hybridized by George Slade of Cynthiana, Ky.  KENTUCKY COAL is one of the
few Slade Irises that does not grow for me.  After three attempts of
growing it, I gave up.  For me, it was a rotter.

Mark A. Cook
macook@iglou.com