Re: Youth activities

<< Does anyone here have some ideas that might be useful in getting new and
 existing youth members involved in A.I.S.?  Here in Region 9 It seems as
 though there are basically few youth members.  My daughter and 2 of my
 nephews joined A.I.S. as youth members last year of the local society
 that I belong to.  There are a few other kids who sometimes attend the
 meeting with their grandparents, parents, etc.  I was trying to think of
 what we as a society could do to encourage membership of these youth and
 what activities we could promote that would encourage and enrich these
 youth memebers >>

I think this is a great issue that you have surfaced---and an irmportant
issue for AIS.  One idea that just came to me is to have the local society
schedule a program and bring in one of the iris whiz AIS kids to give a
program.  Someone like the incredibly talented Andrew Wheeler up in Mass. who
is doing fantastic hybridizing.  And I think he is now in the judges program
too.  Or Region 18's Kevin Gormley, the winner of the Clarke Cosgrove
Trophy---a most clever, talented fellow.  These teens, and others, are quite
capable to giving iris programs that will be of interest to adults as well as
kids.  We pay for noted iris breeders, AIS officials, etc. to come and give
us programs, so why pay the cost of having these bright, articulate and
knowledgeable kids come.

The program could be anything the presenter wanted to do, but oriented to the
other kids.  The the local society could make a special effort to bring out a
lot of kids to hear and see the program.  In addition to regular members,
perhaps kids at a local school, or church, could be invited.  And let kids
choose the refreshments, and run the show for that day.  I hope someone will
try this---if I lived nearby, I'd like to come to such a meeting.  Thanks for
bringing this issue up!   Just a kid at heart, Clarence Mahan in VA