Re: geneologic collection

J. Michael, Celia or Ben Storey wrote:
> Carol Townsend writes:
> >About two years ago I began trying to collect
> >as many of the ancestors of Beverly Sills as possible,
> I'd like to know if anyone else has made such a display for any        other single cultivar. And I'd also like Carol to tell how she came up with the idea. Did she have a lot of land to fill?

Dear Celia and All,
	Sorry, but I've no idea what inspired me other than curiosity, myself,
to be able to actually see the progression from old to new.
	Did they change by stages or in leaps?
	What stages?
	How far back do the current phenotypic genes make themselves evident?
	Part of the inspiration came from the article published on the
ancestors of Beverly Sills by Ben Hager in an AIS Bulletin.  I think it
was Summer 1991.
	As to land, I don't have nearly enough.  One insight that floored me
came, I believe, from Mike Lowe.  He said it would take some 1500
plantings of I. Pallida to individually represent each parent! Yikes! At
3' apart that's a row over threee quarters of a mile long.  As you can
imagine, I rapidly began revising my goals after that astounding
conclusion. I have 8/10th of an acre.
	The other discouragement was that Ben Hager told me that one of the two
immediate parents of Beverly Sills is already extinct. Its hybridizer,
in the Phila area, has been inactive for decades, and is now deceased.
The only hope would be writing to the local club and asking, but I
haven't yet done that. Kinda discouraged, I guess. And busy.
	So how about it folks? Does any one out there know a source of Pink
Pirouette by William Newhard.  In the '69 checklist his address is
indicated as 26 W. Zion Hill Road, Quakertown, Pa.
	Maybe someone knows some of his descendents? Maybe an offspring kept
his introductions?
	Carol Townsend, ctownsen@Jeffco.k12.co.us