Re: Leaf spot/insect control

>We feel that the leaf spot is spread by insects.   The japanese beetles
>spread it on roses and the aphids seem to spread it on the irises.  Even
your
>garden tools can spread it.  We have found that by keeping down the aphid
>populations we have far fewer leaf spot problems.  Also, June bugs spread
>soft rot.  Don has examined their mouths under the microscope and they had
>Erwinia carotovora (soft rot) in them.  Possibly they inject it into other
>plants then after the soft rot breaks down the rhizome they eat them.
>Ginny

A local grower who regularly buys new intros from Schreiners is a great
believer in SEVIN for her iris.  I have never seen any sign of leaf spot or
rot in her garden.  She fertilizes, douses with SEVIN regularly, and
cultivates constantly, but does not use a fungicide.  The insect control
seems to really work for her.

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA