Re: Leaf spot

Bill Shear wrote:

> I still have difficulty seeing how fungal leaf spot can be spread by
> aphids.  Without confirmation I think I'll stick to the traditional view
> that the spores are airborne and splashed from plant to plant by rain.
>
> Best wishes, Bill
> ___________________
> William A. Shear
> Department of Biology
> Hampden-Sydney College
> Hampden-Sydney VA 23943 USA
> phone (804) 223-6172
> FAX (804) 223-6374

Bill,

I too doubt the aphid theory. the World of Iris states that spores can
be blown by wind, splashed by rain, or carried on clothing to healthy
leaves.  Another reason I don't believe this is that I have virtually no
aphids here.  The foothills of the Seirra Nevada's in California are a
primary collection area for Lady bug beatles.  Companys who sell these
commercially come here in the spring and collect.  They are here by the
millions in the spring.  However, like I mentioned in a previous
message, I can get leafspot throughout the winter.  I alternately spray
two fungicides twice a month.

Rick Tasco
Central California
Zone 8