Re: Genealogical Collections

Carol Townsend wrote:

:  I'd like to know from Sharon McAllister if she still has her display of
:  the ancestors and offspring of Esther the Queen. I'd love to see that.

No.  That was 20 years ago.  But I do still have some of her ancestors, and some
of her offspring.  There are now so many grandchildren, great-grandchildren,
etc, that a single display bed would be impractical.

My bed was not as elaborate as Carol's.  The varieties were simply planted in
chronological order.  It was arranged for my own hybridizing convenience rather
than as an educational display.  If I were to try something like this today, I'd
chose a relatively small family group for which I had all cultivars and plant
them in a chart-like pattern.  Not that I expect to have time or space in the
foreseeable future....

Another variation I tried, much easier than assembling all ancestors,  was a
planting that traced only a single line, like   KISS OF HONEY <   ALTOGETHER

BTW, even a 2-, 3- or 4-generation pedigree chart with pictures makes a good
educational exhibit for a show.  It's much more effective if there's a lot of
variation in the ancestors -- not an entire family of the same color -- and
several markedly different siblings in the current generation.

Sharon McAllister