Re: TERESA COBB - Request for iris sources

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: TERESA COBB - Request for iris sources
  • From: "Jeff and Carolyn Walters" <cwalters@cache.net>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Feb 1997 20:26:04 -0700 (MST)

Hi Teresa . . . and welcome to The List!

     You wrote (10 Feb 97):
> Hello, I am a new subscriber.  I live in rural Kansas on 10 acres of
prarie grass/lands.
> I have always loved irises and would like to plant them by the 100's.  If
anyone knows
> a good source of wholesale priced iris (bearded and dwarf are all that I
am familiar with)
> please forward me information?
> I look forward to all of your knowledge and insight!
> Thanks for making this site available, Teresa Cobb.

I have not bought iris in wholesale quantities, but then I don't have 10
acres either (and Graham Spencer, our friend from England, says he grows
27,000 iris on just two acres), but I do know that a number of reputable
commercial iris growers I have dealt with do make special offers of iris in
quantity at deep discounts (1/3 to 1/2 of catalog price). These are usually
end of season offers of excess stock, but they are named and labeled and
seem like good value for someone who wants a large number of iris without
needing to get only certain specific varieties. If this sounds interesting
to you, I would be glad to send you some names and addresses off-list.

Jeff Walters in northern Utah (Zone 4)
"This is the Place" - Where we are back in the freezer (10 to 25 F), but
the sun is shining!