RE: USDA vs. Sunset zones

Julie Allen writes:

>I was wondering about this.  Zone 6, USDA zones, has winter temps of 0 F >to
-10 F, and I don't think Shcreiner's gets this cold, or does it?  Here in
>zone 6, USDA zone, in middle Tennessee, our expected frost-free period is
>about April 15 to Oct 15.  The Sunset Western Garden Book has its own set >of
zones.  I noticed that the Zone finder on the Internet lists both sets of
>zones.  Gigi, are you lurking out there?  Or Rick, are we talking about two
>different sets of zones?

I just asked this basic question of Patti W. in Omak. so yes please, anyone
that knows the answer please jump in. Sounds like there must be two lists. I
suppose we should all use the USDA zones, as these are probably more widely
used. How about overseas, does the USDA cover these also? Since much of our
culture tips are based often on zones, it is important to have the right one!

Julie,  Do you have that internet address  for USDA zones handy?  If not I can
search for it.

Jefrie Jenkins
Kent, WA  zone ???  AIS region 13