Re: Graham's Famous Garden of Stones

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: Graham's Famous Garden of Stones
  • From: Diana Louis <glouis@rogerswave.ca>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Feb 1997 04:20:50 -0700 (MST)

On Mon, 10 Feb 1997, Amy Rupp wrote:

> > As far as freeze-thaw in Sussex is concerned, we do have a problem, but
> > nothing like so bad as some areas. Our soil is fairly wet clay with stones
> > which makes things worse. Three weeks ago we had a two week period of days at
> > -2C/28F and nights at -8C/18F. Now we have 12C/54F and rain. This can happen
> > two or three times in what we would call "severe" winters (nothing like some
> > of you folks have).
>
> Listen Bub.  Texas is thought of as a rather warm place even in winter
> but we've done the 30F to 80F to 15F thing this winter and the one
> previous.  I'm SICK of it.  However, the ground doesn't freeze so the
> iris don't heave but BOY the tropicals, semi-tropicals and winter
> annuals REALLY hate it so I have NOTHING blooming in my yard.  The
> tropicals start to grow in the 80F only to get rewhacked back despite
> mulch, and the winter annuals SULK and melt in 80F. Amy Moseley Rupp
>  Austin, TX, zone 8b

I never have been able to decide whether it's  harder gardening up
here than further south but I think my garden is better off here.
There is 4-5" of cold insulator (read snow) and the ground is still
frozen hard and will be until the snow is gone for a while. I won't
know about the heaving until spring but there never has been much.
The snow looks pretty too.

--
Diana Louis <dlouis@dynamicro.on.ca>
Zone 4/5 Newmarket, Ontario, Canada