Re: June bugs

Linda--what you describe sounds more like Japanese beetles than June
bugs--and Japanese beetles love blackberries.  I've never seen June bugs
feeding during the day (and this involves 25 years of teaching entomology).
I guess this comes from having a rather strict view of what is and what is
not a June bug.  According to the American Entomological society, which has
set itself up to regulate English names of insects, June bugs are several
species of Phyllophaga.  But what are called June bugs in various parts of
the country may not be members of this genus.   Just about any leaf-eating
scarab beetle is called a June bug somewhere!

Still skeptical about June bugs eating iris rhizomes!

Best wishes, Bill
William A. Shear
Department of Biology
Hampden-Sydney College