Re: USDA vs. Sunset zones

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <iris-l@rt66.com>
  • Subject: Re: USDA vs. Sunset zones
  • From: "Jeff and Carolyn Walters" <cwalters@cache.net>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Feb 1997 07:22:09 -0700 (MST)

Hi Jefrie!

     You write (10 Feb 97):
> Julie Allen writes:
> >I was wondering about this.  Zone 6, USDA zones, has winter temps of 0 F
> -10 F, and I don't think Shcreiner's gets this cold, or does it?  Here in
> >zone 6, USDA zone, in middle Tennessee, our expected frost-free period
> >about April 15 to Oct 15.  The Sunset Western Garden Book has its own
set >of
> zones.  I noticed that the Zone finder on the Internet lists both sets of
> >zones.  Gigi, are you lurking out there?  Or Rick, are we talking about
> >different sets of zones?
> I just asked this basic question of Patti W. in Omak. so yes please,
> that knows the answer please jump in. Sounds like there must be two
lists. I
> suppose we should all use the USDA zones, as these are probably more
> used. How about overseas, does the USDA cover these also? Since much of
> culture tips are based often on zones, it is important to have the right
> Julie,  Do you have that internet address  for USDA zones handy?  If not
I can
> search for it.
I posted a message to the list several days ago under this subject
addressing the question of USDA vs. Sunset zones. If you can't find it,
your Sunset Zone (as you know) is 5; your USDA Zone is 8.

Jeff Walters in northern Utah (Usda Zone 4, Sunset Zone 2)
"This is the Place" - Utah Pioneer Sesquicentennial:  1847-1997